I’m prepping food for tomorrow’s special Plant-Based Picnic Christmas Beauty Brunch that Maxine and I hosting with the amazing Neal’s Yard Remedies in Covent Garden.
The brunch is the last commit that I have this year before I head off with my lovely friend Hannah to Marrakech for some much needed R&R. I’ve definitely overdone things over the last few months, and my body has definitely started suffering, so from next year I’m going to have to be a lot more careful about what I do and make sure that I take the time I need to look after myself.
I’ve booked in private sessions with a yoga instructor who has EDS and understands my body (amazing) and is hoping to start meditation, eating better again and make sure everything is planned in a way I can also look after myself while trying to succeed and do well at life.
Luckily, I’m the laziest cook, and making sweet and delicious treats in minutes is my specialty. These coconutty date balls are the perfect treat to whip up over Christmas.
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates (if they’re tough, soak for about ten minutes)
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- 2-3 good pinches of desiccated coconut (and another 1/4 or so cup in a separate bowl)
- Scant 1/4 cup mixed seeds (I use Punch Foods Supersedes)
- Pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- Throw the dates, cacao nibs, 1/4 cup of desiccated coconut, flax, seeds, and salt into the food processor. Buzz until the dates are broken down and everything is combined and sticky.
- Roll the mixture into small balls (the size is up to you) and then roll the balls into a small bowl of desiccated coconut to create the snowball.
- Put your dates in a box and freeze for about an hour. I like to keep them in the freezer for as long as they haven’t been nommed.